Named the best city in North Carolina in 2015 and one of Charlotte’s best suburbs in 2016, Waxhaw has a lot going for it. Its small-town vibe, lively community events, excellent schools, and diverse housing stock make it a perennial favorite among those who want to live close to the Queen City and its urbane amenities without getting caught up in all the hustle and bustle.
“Life happens in the Haw,” and the downtown area is filled with shops, galleries, restaurants, and more. Well-maintained recreational facilities help residents relax and lead balanced lifestyles. The mild climate coupled with acres of lush greenery and natural areas give outdoor enthusiasts plenty of space to roam.
Situated in the southwestern portion of Union County, this idyllic town lies roughly 20 miles of Charlotte and is a quick 20-minute drive from the city. NC highways 16 and 75 cut through the town center and its downtown area.
It encompasses 11.89 square miles and has a population of more than 12,000. Nearby towns include Marvin, Monroe, and Mineral Springs.
Real estate in Waxhaw
Waxhaw has four established neighborhoods and a number of upscale subdivisions. The housing stock consists mainly of single-family homes, townhomes, and apartments, the majority of which are new construction.
Lots and vacant land are also available. Farms and rural properties of varying sizes may be purchased and developed into equestrian estates.
There are several luxury communities in Waxhaw. Luxury homes are often situated in large wooded lots and can have as many as six bedrooms. Plush master suites, sitting areas, patios, private pools, and spacious backyards are common features.
Waterfront properties can be found in Fairhaven Court and Shaker Pond Lane. Waterfront lots in the former command views of Reid Lake while those in the latter offer views of a gleaming pond and grant residents partial ownership of it.
If you want to buy a quality home in Waxhaw, hire a luxury real estate agent. Call me, Zanthia Hastings, at 704-947-2165 or send an email to email@example.com.
Attractions and amenities in Waxhaw
Waxhaw’s developing park system consists of the following spaces:
- David G. Barnes’ Children’s Park
- Sk8 Park
- Dare Steele Garden
- C. Nesbit Park & Rec. Athletics
- Town Creek Park
- South Providence School Exercise Loop
- Water Tower Open Space
- Greenway system
The town is also home to the following attractions:
- Carolina Thread Trail – This 141-mile trail meanders through protected natural areas and spans 15 counties and two states. Go on a leisurely stroll and reconnect with nature. Don’t forget to pass by the trail’s 170-foot long signature Cross-State Suspension Bridge.
- JAARS Museum of the Alphabet – Go on a guided tour of this museum and gain insight into the development of languages and writing systems. A multimedia exhibit that features paintings, photographs, and quiz boxes will give you a renewed appreciation for the tools we use for reading and writing.
- Museum of the Waxhaws and Andrew Jackson Memorial – Get a glimpse of the Charlotte metro area’s history from 1650 to 1900 through the fascinating artifacts on display. Learn about the Waxhaws, who were the town’s first settlers, and the Spanish conquistadors who explored the area. The museum also covers the Civil War and the late US President Andrew Jackson’s birthplace. A number of family-friendly events like the annual Pirate Invasion take place here throughout the year.
- Downtown Waxhaw – Go on a walking or cycling tour of downtown Waxhaw and admire some beautifully preserved historic buildings. Sit down for a satisfying meal at any of the restaurants that serve Italian, Mexican, New American, or Chinese fare and shop for antiques and other trinkets.
For more information on Waxhaw, visit their website.